Wednesday, October 19, 2005

guts of the thing

Here's a proper reply! Busy last night, as it was my birthday! Thanks again for your interest, and enthusiastic reply. Really, it is people with positive energy I am seeking, so that was great to see in your email. Where, please, did you spot my notice? I've posted murmurists stuff all over, so it would be informative to learn where you learned of my project. Also, where are you based? I'm in Northampton, in case you don't know. The project I'm advocating - which I call 'murmury', and the band itself 'murmurists' - carries on in a sense from things I've been involved with for years. I've only recently moved into Northampton, from Warrington in the North West. There, I was part of a functioning art group, called murmurists. That version of murmurists had several people involved at different times, doing different things. It was basically an improvised thing. We went into a rehearsal room and made it up as we went along. In that sense - and to give you an idea of what kind of thing resulted from such encounters - the material was in the area of soundart, soundscapes, electronica, freejazz, experimental, plunderphonics, circuitbending, and so on. We used guitars, keyborards, electronics, effects, cd players, md players, tape, dictaphones, radio, computers, real drums, electronic drums, PSIIs, woodwind, voice.... all kinds. I personally play six and four string basses (sometimes 'prepared', which I play conventionally and unconventionally, using techniques I've devised over years of playing); keyboard (though I'm no real keyboard player, as such; it's more a sound source); voice (though I wouldn't class myself as a singer!); electronics of different kinds, including lots of processing for my basses; so-called laptronics, programming, messing with software etc., but not to make dance music. I also play guitar - and am looking to incorporate this into my musicmaking. Similarly, I've been designing a 20 string homemade instrument, which I am going to build and aim to use. I've taught bass and guitar. I know my theory, and how to write songs. I've done lots of that in the past. I am, though, looking to continue the move beyond rock forms and devices - that is, rock-type structure, tonality, etc. I want to make something original, more challenging. I am ambitious! Though I have ideas, I'm looking for others with ideas and energy of their own, to contribute equally, so that the result belongs to all involved. I've led bands and played in bands led by others. There is nothing, though, like being in a band where everyone in it has an equal stake. That's the ideal; and it isn't to say that everyone has to be equal in all departments. That's unlikely, and possibly even unproductive. Best, though, if everyone strives equally in an overall way. Does this ethos sound good to you? But, murmurists isn't just a musical thing. I'm an artist, too - a visual artist, that is. I make artworks; I've had exhibitions; I've curated them. That's my academic background, too - fine art degree, then a doctorate in art theory. In that sense, and for that reason, I get my inspiration from the world of music and its theories and that of art and its theories. I make films, too - though that's a recent thing with me. I also write - prose, theory, kinds of scripts, titles, etc. I am looking to put all this stuff together into a single project called murmurists. What I am looking for are others who are or another who is into what I am into, and who has the energy to pursue such a project. Is this you?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home